WLSC started in 1996 as a club (travel) soccer organization. A few years later, it was apparent that recreational soccer was something that was desired in our area. The recreational division of the club began in 1999, and shortly thereafter, the travel division was renamed Glass City Soccer.
We are a volunteer operated program, primarily serving the children of Washington Local Schools, West Toledo, Point Place and Erie, Michigan. Our focus is on helping children learn the fundamentals of soccer in a positive, educational environment.
Our league games are played on six Saturdays every Spring and Fall. All games are played on the fields adjacent to Shoreland Elementary. While parking can be tight and the fields are full, it makes for a festive environment every Saturday morning.
An Educational Experience in a Tournament Atmosphere
We will have between 7-9 fields all playing at the same time. In that sense, it's like a mini-tournament every weekend.
Record Growth in Recent Years
Our club continues to grow. In 2014, we had over 500 participants in the Spring, and over 400 in the Fall. As you can imagine, with this many players it takes many volunteers to make this league successful each year. For just one season, WLSC has the need for the following:
- Over 70 volunteer coaches
- Between 10-15 referees
- 36-40 concessions volunteers
When registering your child this season, please consider becoming either a volunteer coach (we understand it's not for everyone) or a concessions volunteer (just 40 volunteers at 1 hour each is all we need).
Some other things we thought you would like to know!
- Our games are played on Saturday Mornings between 9 AM and 1 PM, on the fields directly behind Shoreland Elementary School.
- Every child is welcome to play in our league, regardless of where they live or go to school.
- We are not directly affiliated with the Washington Local School District, which means all children are welcome to participate, regardless of where they attend school.
- Coaches, not league administration, determine the time, location, and duration of their team practices.
- We have a concession stand on-site every Saturday morning, selling snacks, drinks, and WLSC Spiritwear.
- Our referees are trained on the Laws of the Game by a USSF Certified Referee before the season. We currently have two referees who are USSF Certified on our staff.
- Our club works directly with Glass City Soccer, which is a competitive club that competes in the Northwest Ohio Youth Soccer League (NWOYSL). If your child shows signs of wanting to move to the next level of competition, we can put you in touch with their coaching staff and move you toward to process of playing travel soccer.
- We do our very best to make the teams as evenly matched as possible each season. A lot of time and work goes into registering players and assigning teams so that each participant has a high quality experience.
- Game lengths vary based on the age of the players. Our U-5 teams play 32 minute games, while our U-14 teams play 50 minute games.